Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Flynn here...HB & 2wk anniversary

Hey everyone...Sorry that this post's a day late.  Ugh!  
Anyway.
Thursday morning dawned hot and muggy...just like it has been for the past week!
Rapunzel was still sleeping, and my heart squeezed at how innocent she looked.
After a few minutes, she woke up.  She slid upright, and I did too, still keeping an arm around her.
Suddenly, a line from Tim McGraw's 'Good Morning Beautiful' (I think that's what it's called anyway) came to me, and it seemed appropriate, so I started whisper-singing it to her.
She elbowed me and chuckled at me when she recognized the lyrics, and then kissed my cheek.
Then I heard faint crying.  Hallie and Allie.  My wife and her gang of 'bloodthirsty' buddies hadn't gotten to talk to Tangled Fan yet.
Rapunzel jumped up.  "That's it.  We're gonna talk to Tangled Fan if it's the last thing we do!"
Instead of telling her not to get into a fight, I grabbed her wrist before she stomped off, and got up.  "I'm coming too.  Jase is still asleep, and I can hear and see her from the chair."
She strode over and beat onto the printer.  Within minutes, the trio all came down.  Merida and Blondie were lugging some stuff.
We made our way over to the chair, and I finally saw what they were carrying: a glass jar and a hair brush.  Alrighty then!

Merida set the jar down, Blondie crouched beside it with the brush and started banging it on the jar.  Merida kicked at the jar and waved her bow above her head like a mad-doll.
I protectively linked my arm with Rapunzel's, prepared to take her away from the situation if it went awry.  She looked across me at Rayne, and Rayne looked back at her with a shrug.  "I think she's having just a bit too much fun with that."
"Ya think?" she chuckled. "I feel like I should get in on it, but I think they're making enough-"
"What on EARTH is going on in here?!?"
We all turned towards Tangled Fan, either freezing or trying to act normal.  Rapunzel pressed closer into my side.
Blondie, who must not have noticed Tangled Fan in her frenzied beating of the brush, slammed the brush down again.  Noticing everything was silent, she looked up.
"Ummm...we have, that is...we've..RAPUNZEL!  Rapunzel has something she has to tell you!" Merida stammered, finally gesturing towards my wife.
"I.." She broke off awkwardly when everyone turned towards her.
I grabbed her one hand - she was flapping the other one around aimlessly - and gave it a reassuring squeeze, adding a smile.
Taking a deep breath, the whole story came tumbling out of her mouth.  "So the other day, we heard crying from the top of the shelf, and y'know, we were just wanting to check stuff out to make sure whoever it was, was okay.  So Merida, Jase and I went.  Flynn came up later, so he'll back me up too.  Anyway, HB - the Happy Birthday Barbie you adopted Allie and Hallie out to?  She wasn't paying any attention to the girls, and they were the ones crying.  I asked about them, and she said they'd be fine if she just left them be.  And that she always does it anyway!  She didn't want to mess up her DRESS, because her BOYFRIEND  was going to come over for a date.  By the way, she willingly admitted that she LIED to you about being married!  And THEN, she said that she just left the babies over on the edge of the shelf while she went on dates or whatever! I'm so scared they'll fall.  And since then, they've been crying NON STOP.  Don't you think you should take them away from her?!"
"I talked to Jase.  Apparently, she'd been fostered by HB before.  She said she was terribly mean and never did anything with her.  She was quite adamant about the fact that the babies needed to be taken from her."  I added.
"If you don't believe them, I'll side with 'em.  I saw it myself!"  Merida said defiantly.
"I will, also."  Rayne said, and Blondie nodded her agreement with all of us.
"Well...just to be sure, I"ll ask HB about this.  I'm pretty upset she lied, and i'm upset that she hasn't been doing ANYTHING with Allie and Hallie. I'll go do it now."
We all turned towards the shelf to see HB was gone.  The babies were wailing, and their legs were hanging over the edge of the shelf.  My stomach dropped.
Rapunzel gasped.  "Grab them bef-"
Grab them before they fall?  Yeah right.  They started to plummet from the top of the shelf.
Rapunzel wheeled towards me and pressed her face up against my shoulder, crying. Rayne clasped her hands to her stomach, horrified.  Merida hit her knees and covered her face, gasping.  Blondie loosed a bloodcurdling scream.  I held Rapunzel tightly to me and turned my face away to avoid seeing the certain accident, and I almost hyperventilated.
But then we heard Tangled Fan say 'got them'. Rapunzel lifted her head from my shoulder.  I looked up. We all turned towards Tangled Fan - and realized she'd caught them!
We all gasped.
Tangled Fan looked down at the dolls in her hand as if she didn't know what to do with them.  I could hear them wailing.
"I guess I'll toss 'em in the box up in the attic.  Nobody else'll want them-"
"Wait just a second!"  Rayne stepped forward, growing at least three inches as she bristled and stood straight.  My wife stepped back a step and pressed even closer to me with uncertainty.  "Rapunzel cared for those babies for a week!  The week she should have been honeymooning, and when she had no clue what to do and was overwhelmed!  Don't you think you should possibly ask if she wanted them BACK, after you so rudely took them from her?  And Merida's helped her so much with those kids, and she so loves that little Allie, that don't you think you should pardon your married couples rule just for her?  She will be a lot better a mother than a box full of Barbies would EVER be!  And while we're at it - why do I have to stay locked in that stupidly wretched doll stand ALL THE TIME?  Every morning, Merida and Blondie have to help yank me out of the stupid thing, and yet you put me in it anyway!"  She huffed.
Alrighty then.  How did that last part about the doll stand fit in to the rest of the situation?  I wasn't sure if I should be amused or terrified of her - I'd never seen serene Rayne go nuts like that.
Tangled Fan silently held Allie out to Merida.  She took her, beaming.
"You're sure you're ready for motherhood, Merida?" Rapunzel asked her.  "Trust me, you don't want to rush into it!"
"If I can keep this baby away from HB, yeah, I'm ready!" She stared into Allie's eyes.
Then Tangled Fan held Hallie out to my wife and I.
"I apologize for taking the four of them away from you.  I was in a hurry and didn't think to ask.  Forgive me?"  My wife ndoded.
She took Hallie gently into her arms and I gave her a one-armed hug, kissing her hair.  She smiled down at Hallie and Hallie gave a cute little grin.  My heart skipped a beat when I realized how far we'd come.

Suddenly, though, Merida said my name.
"Yeah?" I was almost afraid to even know.
"You planning on doing anything with her today?"  she gestured towards Rapunzel.
I was confused.  Of course I was - it was our two week anniversary.  "I was..kind of planning on it, cause it's our two-week anniversary..why?"
"I was gonna teach your wife here how to shoot a bow and arrow.  She might have to fend off an angry HB!"  She joked.
She looked at Merida, wide-eyed and slightly terrified in appearance.  She asked her if it was dangerous.
"Dangerously FUN!"  She laughed.
"It's just morning right now, so it can't hurt.  I want to watch this - good entertainment!"
"Hey.  I bet you can't shoot either!"  Rapunzel said, and I gave her a one-armed hug to show I was just jerking her chains.
"Actually, I know how to shoot a bow and arrow."  And I actually did.
"Really now...why don't I believe that?"  She joked before reaching to give me a quick peck on the jawbone.
"Then it's a deal!"  Merida said.  "Why don't we get at it?"
"I'm leaving before arrows start flying," Rayne laughed.
Rapunzel took off after her, and talked with her for a few minutes.
I watched her as she talked.  It amazed me how happy and bubbly she was, after she had been so grievous and everything only about a week ago when the kids had been taken away from us.
Next thing I knew, Rapunzel was back and standing beside me.  And Merida was pulling an arrow out of her quiver to shoot.
I stood back.  I didn't want to be anywhere near that crazy doll when she started shooting arrows!
She explained how to shoot the arrow, and then loosed hers.
Rapunzel was completely awed by Merida's shooting skills.
Merida handed Rapunzel her equipment, and I felt it was safe to come back over.
I leaned against a chair rung, somewhat behind Rapunzel.
She looked at me and laughed.  "If any a time to stand back, it's now.  You shouldn't trust your wife with weaponry she's never used before."
Merida and I both got a laugh out of that one. When the chuckles subsided, Rapunzel started trying to get in position.
Although Merida tried to coach her, she still just couldn't get comfortable with the arrow and the bow.  I could see her face start to go red as she fumbled around, trying to get everything set up, so I stepped up behind her and took her arms into my hands, guiding them to where they needed to be placed.
"There ya go.  That's exactly how you hold it!"
In Rapunzel's excitement to have gotten the position, finally, she let go of the arrow.  It went straight for the metal-edged table, and I knew what was coming. I didn't know if the arrow could inflict injury to any of us, but I didn't want to find out!  I wrapped one arm around Rapunzel's waist, grabbed Merida with the other, and yanked both of them backwards before we all huddled in the opposite side of the chair.  Merida had fallen to her knees.
It ricocheted, but it just landed on its side, on the chair.
"You're right.  Maybe I shouldn't trust you with weaponry you don't know how to use!" I teased my wife.
"Oh hush up," she said, suddenly getting the giggles.  Merida stood and gave her a playful shove.
"You'll catch on.  But your lesson learnt for today is: Never, EVER shoot anything towards something it'll ricochet off of.  Like metal."
She laughed harder and apologized.
Merida left to pick up the arrow.
I didn't even realize I still held Rapunzel in a death grip.
"You can let go now.   No flying arrows to shield me from...right now, anyway!"  I laughed and let her go.
"I'd best head over to see what Rayne's up to with the girls.  I'll be back later, okay?  Don't kill anybody or break anything."  I chuckled, starting to leave back for the shelf.

When I got back, I relieved Rayne of her babysitting duties.  Jase told me how excited she was to have at least one of her baby 'sisters' back.  And she told me how she'd watched Momma shoot the arrow with 'aunt' Merida and how she wanted to learn how to shoot too.  I told her that she'd have to wait a little while till she could shoot.  She got me into a game of tea-party, with imaginative teacups and everything.  I held Hallie in one arm and went along with Jase's game for the majority of the afternoon and part of the evening.  I kept getting this nagging feeling that I was forgetting something, but I couldn't figure out what.
Eventually, though, I got Jase and Hallie both to take a quick nap whilst I went to get Rapunzel for our walk.
"Hey, Merida - can I steal her for a bit?  The girls are napping if you want to go watch them, please?"
"Sure.  And hey, even though stealing is bad, I'll let you take her anyway."
Rapunzel chuckled and thanked her for being her teacher for the day.
They talked for a  couple seconds and then she turned back to me.  I guess I must've been standing a bit too close, because she rammed into me when she turned to face me.  I held my hand out, and she took it.
We went to the floor to walk.  "So how did everything go after I left?"
"It was awesome!  I can see why she loves to shoot!  It's tons of fun.  We took turns shooting.  It was sooo much fun. She's such a good - what do you call it - she's such a good marksman!  Or markswoman.  Rather...marksdoll!" she broke off to giggle.  "I think sometime you'll have to demonstrate your shooting skills, if Merida'll agree to let you use her bow.  I didn't kill or break anything, and only ricocheted the arrow once by accident!  I guess I didn't do too bad, but I've still got a LONG way to go before I'm as good as Merida, if I'll ever be!"
As she talked, I couldn't help but smile at her enthusiasm.  When she was done talking, we walked in silence.  Her face quickly grew red.
She took my other hand and wrapped the other arm around my waist.  "Um..so, no dancing today?"  she grinned up at me.
So THAT'S what I'd forgotten about.
"Oh, I'm so sorry - I totally forgot to ask Rayne to play the playlist I'd made up last Friday...what with the kids and-"
"It's fine - I was just wondering - and half teasing, too, because we'd done it every other time."  She smiled up at me, and I found myself mesmerized by her emerald green eyes.
I snapped out of it for a moment, and suggested we climb up onto the chair.
I kind of embarrassed myself, because I just couldn't stop looking at her and thinking of how lucky a man I was to have her as my wife.  She leaned quite awkwardly against a rung of the chair, pulling her braid over a shoulder to fiddle with it.  "I need to-"
I knew it would make the outing even more embarrassing and awkward, but I couldn't help myself.  An overwhelming urge to kiss her came over me and I grabbed her up into a kiss, cutting her off.
I could feel her arms jerk and then she just put her hands comfortably up on my shoulders.  I could feel her start to go down because her knees went out from under her or something, and so I tightened my grip on her.  Finally, though, I started to reluctantly pull away from her - and she stood on tiptoe to grab me back into a kiss of her own; all the while, my stomach felt like a whole zoo had been released into it as a stampede or something, and a weird sensation gripped my spine.
She finally pulled away from me and slid her hands down around to my waist, sighing.
I reached to brush some hair from her face, allowing my hand to linger on her hair for a moment until I finally spit it out.  "I love you," I whispered.
Her mouth made awkward 'I want to say something, but can't figure out what' movements, before she finally asked what the kiss was for.
Was it awkward that I didn't really know why I'd kissed her?  Yep.  I have no regrets.
"Just because," I said, grinning.  She smiled back at me and I wondered if hearts could burst from your chest.
"Because why?" she asked me.
"What, can't I kiss my beautiful wife when I feel like kissing her?" I said, trying to keep a poker face, in an attempt to tease her.
"It's not that I don't appreciate it..." she winked.
Lesson to everyone:  if you get an opportunity to tease someone - in a kind way, mind - don't ever pass it up.  I don't!
I began to lean down to kiss her again, since she said that, and she pushed me away with a laugh.  "You're laying on the sweetness just a bit too thick, honey."
I pulled her close again and rested my forehead on hers.  She put a hand on my face and smiled before shutting her eyes.  At that moment, I never knew my heart could ever be so full.  I had the most stunning, beautiful, loving, sweet wife on earth, I had two sweet, adorable little girls, and I prayed that none of them would never be taken away from me!
"Two weeks ago, I never would've guessed we would be so open like this.  I never would have guessed we would've ended up with four kids, losing them all, and then getting two back, either.  And I never would've guessed how much I love you!"  I whispered.
"Two weeks ago, I never would have guessed we would be this way, either.  I never would've guessed ANY of this, either!  And I pretty much knew I had the world's biggest crush EVER on you, but I didn't really know how much so!  And by the way...love you, too!"
She opened those emerald green eyes that left me weak in the knees, and I smiled at her, giving her a peck on the forehead before deciding to commence the teasing once more.  "HAD the world's biggest crush ever on me?"
"You're bad.  Now I don't just have a CRUSH on you...now I have the ribbon to prove it!  And you obviously had a crush on me in order to give me that ribbon."  she threw the teasing right back at me, and I chuckled.
Eventually, though, she pulled away and said we should get back to the kids.
I nodded, took her hand gently into mine, and we went back to the shelf.
When we got there, Merida and Allie, Hallie, and Jase were all sprawled on the shelf floor, sleeping.
Rapunzel giggled quietly, and I started to shake with my attempt to not laugh.
She asked if maybe we should just let them be, but Merida awoke abruptly, yelling a 'who's there'.  My wife and Merida talked for a few minutes, and I hung back.
As soon as Merida left with Allie, Hallie started crying.
With a yawn, Rapunzel went over to hold her, bouncing her and reassuring her.
Within minutes, Jase woke up.
She came and hugged me, and I hugged her back, my heart swelling with love for this little girl.  "Love you, Daddy!"  She said.  Then she went over to Rapunzel, hugged her, and told her she loved her, too.  By the time she made it back to behind the alarm clock, I think she was asleep - she sure hit the shelf floor with a thump!
The night dragged on after that, and every time Rapunzel would lay Hallie down again, she'd wake up and cry.  It was almost 1 in the morning, and we'd been trying to get her to go to sleep since 10.
I watched Rapunzel holding her and frantically trying to get her to sleep, her eyes growing heavier by the second.  She plopped down with Hallie, and I walked over, holding my arms out.
"What?"  she asked, wiping her eyes and looking confusedly up at me.
"You go to sleep.  I'll take care of her the rest of the night."
"No.  You'll get a migraine."  She shook her head vigorously.
I raised my eyebrows, wiggled my fingers, and offered again.
"Sit."  she whispered, and I obliged, wrapping an arm around her small shoulders.
"That's better," she joked.
I watched her eyes roll around, and she looked so tired.
"Why don't-" I started to tell her to go to bed, but she refused.
"I'm fine."  She said, leaning slowly into me so as not to wake Hallie.

Around three, Hallie FINALLY went to sleep and was able to be put down without screaming.
Rapunzel set her down and slowly straightened back up, and looked at me, wide-eyed despite her sleepiness.  She added a victorious little grin and I leaned in for a quick little kiss.
And then we both made a beeline for bed before the next crisis occurred.

Surprisingly enough, though, she slept all night long after that!  Which is a really good thing, because I was getting the beginnings of a migraine after staying up so late...but I didn't dare tell my wife about it.  And I would've gotten up with Hallie anyway - Rapunzel needed the rest.  It was good, though, because it went away eventually! Boo-yah.



No comments:

Post a Comment