Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

A Heart to Heart With Rayne

So, something's been kind of bothering me.  Since Saturday, when Rayne said "Because you love him," when I'd been blubbering around about Flynn's departure, I'd been wondering why she'd said it in such a weird tone.  So Monday, I decided to ask her about it.
Merida and Blondie had taken the three girls for a walk to give me a short break, and I took the opportunity to talk to Rayne.
"Hey, Rayne?" I asked, and she turned to look at me.
"Yes?"  She looked at me with a questioning stare.
"You know how the other day you said 'because you love him' to me...when I was kind of falling apart all over the place?" I blurted quickly.
She furrowed her brows.  "Umm..yeah, I do.  Why?"
"You just said it weird, like you were thinking about something else, or someONE else....?" I hinted at my question.
She nodded.  "I just don't really want to talk about it."
"Why?  Was it someone here?  If it was, I'll-"
"No, no, Rapunzel, it wasn't someone here.  I WISH it was someone here."  She sighed and sat down, patting the floor beside her.
I sat beside her and stared at her until she spilled it.
"So you know how you and Flynn met, right?"
I nodded.
"My Eugene and I met the same way, at the warehouse.  We'd been next to each other for months, and were planning on getting married as soon as we were let out of our boxes.  We were so sure we would end up in the same home."  She shook her head, biting her lip.  "He was so sweet and nice and caring.  One day...one of the workers at the warehouse...t-they came over, grabbed my Eugene's box and tossed him into a cardboard box.  I was so..so sure they would put me in there too, and was excited, because I was sure we would get married incredibly soon."
She paused, and I laid a hand on hers.  She gave me a bittersweet smile and continued.
"They started to walk away, and I started pounding on the box as much as I could in my plastic ties...I screamed...they only looked around as if a mere fly was buzzing about their heads.  I screamed until I went hoarse.  But they never came back.  A week later, I was shipped out, along with some gifts Tangled Fan had bought.  I thought maybe he would be there, and we'd just gotten shipped out separately or something dumb like that.  But he wasn't here.  Blondie was the only one here, aside from the bigger dolls."
She wiped her face of the tears streaking her cheeks, and I felt horrible for her.
"I am so, soo sorry, Rayne."  I stared at my hands in my lap, as I thought about how I would have felt if that had happened to me and Flynn.
"It's fine.  What is done is done, and I can only hope that someday, I'll find someone like my Eugene.  But I doubt it will ever happen..."
"You can't ever lose hope, Rayne,"  I bit my lip, trying to think of a way to comfort her.
"Yes..but I can be realistic," she gave me a pensive stare, before finally adding, "honey, you enjoy that husband of yours as much as you possibly can.  Never, ever take him for granted.  Do that for me, please.  And don't be afraid to show your affection towards him, around us.  We don't mind.  And don't think we didn't notice your awkwardness!"  She gave me a wink and I knew she was trying to lighten the mood and distract me from the subject.  My eyes were misted over from her advice.
I just nodded, not trusting that I wouldn't start crying if I opened my mouth.
"And if you ever need to talk to me while he's gone - or ever, for that matter - don't be afraid to.  I don't bite..much!"
"Oh, I saw your crazy-eyes when you confronted Tangled Fan the other day about the babies.  I don't trust that you WON'T bite me!"  I finally joked, wiping at my eyes.  "And if you need to talk to me, I won't bite."
She laughed and leaned over to hug me.  "Don't you worry about him, girl.  He's so twitterpated over you, he'll likely get it in his head to get better quickly, or I wouldn't put it past him to fake a recovery so he can be back with you."
I chuckled, my cheeks turning warm.  "He'd better not fake anything...I don't want to go through this again!"
She nodded in agreement.  "I wouldn't want to be in your position, either.  But everything will be  okay."
I gave her a small smile and turned when I heard the girls coming back up the shelf.
Jase came running over to me excitedly, jumped into my lap, and commenced telling me the story about what her, 'Aunt Blondie', and 'Aunt Merida' had done today.  Merida handed Hallie over to me and went to sit with Allie, who was asleep.
I felt better to have spoken to Rayne, and to have my girls in my arms again.

On another note, I haven't seen Tangled Fan long enough to ask about Flynn.  She's come down with a cold and is also busy with what I overheard is a bunch of horse shows soon in the next three weeks, so I just hope that that won't delay anything!  Oh goodness...if anything is delayed, I might just die!  I know, I know; I'm being way too dramatic there :P

No comments:

Post a Comment