Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Stupid leg, anyhow...

The next day after Flynn had ratted on me, Tangled Fan came into the room, something behind her back.  I sat up and watched her walk over.

Earlier, she'd checked up on me.  Yes, my leg was feeling much better.  Yes, I was telling the truth.  Yes, I was being a good girl and just laying around, wallowing in boredom and anger.
But this time, she came in with a Cheshire-cat smile.  "Someone wanted to see you!"
Oh, great.  Please just let it be Jase - I'd be likely to tear Flynn's head off and ream him up one side and down the other, right now...still.
"Oh?"  I said, not even hiding the bored grumble of my voice.
She set Flynn down on the table by me and left.  "I'll come back in about an hour."
As soon as she was gone, Flynn turned to me, a smile on his face.
"How've you been today?"  he asked, sitting beside me.
"Fine."  I refused to look at him.  I know it was childish of me, but I was just so mad that he'd gone back on his word.
"Hey..." he said, with such concern in his voice that my stomach tightened and I glanced towards him out of habit.  "I'm so sorry, babe.  I didn't want to, but you need to get healed up."
I shrugged silently, and he gently pulled his chin towards me and leaned forward to try to kiss me.  I knew what he was trying to do, and I pulled away.
"Sweetie..."
I looked down at my hands.  "Not now.  Okay?"
He sighed and from the corner of my eye, I saw him reach for my hands, stop, and let his own hand drop down beside him.  "I really am sorry.  Trust me, if I wasn't so worried you'd get worse, I would never have told Tangled Fan about it.  I'm sorry."
I drew in a shuddering breath, a small bit of the anger melting away.  "I won't stay mad forever, if that's what you're worried about."
He said he was sorry.  Again.
"I know.  I'm just...mad.  You told me you'd stop being overprotective.  You said you'd trust my own judgement as to if I needed to ease off my leg or not."
"I did, but when I saw your limp..again..I just...I knew that it was the best thing to do.  You might not think that, but it was.  You'll get better quicker."
I swallowed.  "Yeah."
He made a few aimless movements, and I knew he wanted to do something, but wasn't sure what to do.
We sat in awkward silence for awhile.
Finally, he spoke up again.  "Um...Jase wanted to tell me to tell you that when you get home, we're watching more episodes of that Duck Dynasty."
I smiled to myself, despite everything.  "How's she doing?  And Hallie?"
"Jase is doing fine..she actually said, and I quote, mind you; 'that Mommy was good to go for a couple days.'  And Hallie's been fine."
I suddenly remembered about his migraines.  "You haven't had a migraine?"
"It's been twenty four hours, sweetheart, not weeks.  But no, I haven't had any migraines.  Hallie slept all night long, and I got precisely nine hours and fourteen minutes of sleep last night."
I giggled at his preciseness; the anger slowly washing away.  He gave me a relieved grin, and I wriggled out of the blanket to bring my legs up to my chin.  "I suppose I should apologize for being a jerk.  So-"
"It's fine.  I understand, trust me," he said, gazing at me tenderly.
I looked down.  "Sorry anyway."
He chuckled.  "So, no major hard feelings?  You get why I did this?"
I nodded.  "No hard feelings.  I was just hurt and upset, and...I dunno.  It's complicated, I guess."
He peered down at my face before he gently pushed the curtain of hair away so he could see me better, his hand lingering on my cheek.
I glanced up at him and then took his hand from my cheek.  I pulled him towards me and kissed him.  He was about to return it, but then Tangled Fan came bustling through the door.  We jerked apart and I dropped Flynn's hand.
"Hour's up!"  she announced.  "C'mon, Flynn."
She held out her hand to Flynn, but he turned back towards me, situating the blankets back over me.  "I'll see you soon, okay, hon?"
"Okay."  I said, grabbing his hand to give it a quick squeeze.  His face split into a smile and I watched them leave.    Since we'd talked, I really didn't want him to leave..but what else could I do?

When Tangled Fan had taken Flynn back up, she came back down to see me.
"And how are we feeling right now?"
"Just fine.  When can I leave?"
"Probably tomorrow," she said.
"Why not today?"
"Because even if you are feeling better, you need to rest.  Knowing you, you'll go and hurt yourself again because you aren't easing back into anything."
I started to protest, but it was true - even Tangled Fan knew that.  I sighed and nodded.  "But tomorrow morning, I'll be waiting at that door."
She laughed and nodded.  "Alright.  I know you want to get back to your kids and Flynn."

The rest of the day dragged by soooo impossibly slowly.  Luckily, I was able to talk Tangled Fan into lending me her iPod so I could blog and after that, I turned some music on to listen to. 
After awhile, though, I just turned everything off and laid back, thinking.  Mostly about how much of a jerk I had been to my husband, who hadn't deserved any bit of it.  I had acted like such a child earlier, and to prove what?  That I was a brat?  To make him feel even worse about it?  The more I thought about how upset he probably had gotten, added onto the fact that he probably felt really bad for going back on his word....the  more upset with MYSELF I got.  Eventually, I ended up having a good cry, clutching my blanket. 
When I was done, I decided to think about going home tomorrow.  I could hardly wait to talk to Flynn and get everything off my chest.  And, of course, I couldn't wait to see my girls!  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment