Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Flynn here...Rapunzel's leg

Hey everyone!
The afternoon after I'd told Tangled Fan about Rapunzel's leg, I paced back and forth, anxiously waiting for Tangled Fan to take me to her.  I was worried as to how mad my wife would be at me.  I felt awful for going back on the word I'd given her just hours before, but her health overruled spoken words.

Finally, Tangled Fan came into the bedroom.  I waited at the edge of the dresser after I hugged Jase and told her to be a good girl - she'd said she'd prefer staying and playing at 'home' over going to see Momma...not sure why, but I respected her choice.  I didn't want her there if we got into a fight, anyway...and I was pretty sure Rapunzel would have something to say to me...and I don't mean somethnig nice! 

Tangled Fan took me down to the 'craft room'...which must've been where she'd put my wife.  Before she opened the door, she put me behind her back.
"Someone wanted to see you!"  She exclaimed, bustling into the room.
"Oh...?"  Rapunzel sounded very enthused...NOT. 
Well, this would be interesting.
She sat me down on the table, saying she'd be back in an hour.  And then she left.
Rapunzel looked no worse for wear, except for the dark expression on her face; and she was wrapped up in a blanket.
I smiled at her and asked how she was, sitting beside her.
"Fine."  she turned her head away and spat.
Alrighty then.
"Hey," I said quietly, feeling terrible.  She glanced towards me, but then turned away again.  "I'm so sorry, babe.  I didn't want to, but you need to get healed up."
She shrugged her shoulders up a little bit.  I took her chin and tried to give her a kiss, trying to get her to lighten up, but she jerked away.  "Sweetie-"
She looked down at her hands, and I broke off.  "Not now, okay?"
I sighed, defeated.  She wrapped her hands together and fumbled around awkwardly with them.  Out of habit, I reached to hold them, but figured that would really tick her off, so I let my hand drop.  "I really am sorry.  Trust me, if I wasn't so worried you'd get worse, I would never have told Tangled Fan about it...I'm sorry." I repeated.
She took a deep, shuddering breath. "I won't stay mad forever, if that's what you're worried about."
The way she inhaled made me feel even WORSE.  "I'm so sorry, honey."
"I know.  I was just...mad.  You told me you'd stop being overprotective!  You said you'd trust my own judgement as to if I needed to ease off my leg or not."
I nodded, acknowledging that I knew what I'd said.  "I did, but when I saw your limp - again - I just.. I knew that it was the best thing to do.  You might not think that, but it was.  You'll get better quicker."
She swallowed audibly.  "Yeah."
I wanted to hold her hands, or hug her, or something, but I didn't want to push it.  So we just sat in awkward silence for awhile.  I think the last time this had happened (awkward silence) was before we were even married!
Finally, I grasped upon something Jase had told me bright and early this morning.  "Um...Jase wanted to tell me to tell you that when you get home, we're watching more episodes of that Duck Dynasty."
Score!
Motherly instinct kicked in, and she smiled despite herself.  "How's she doing?  And Hallie?"
"Jase is doing fine.  She actually said, and I quote, mind you: 'that Mommy was good to go for a couple days'.  And Hallie's been fine."
"You haven't had a migraine?"
I almost laughed, but then I was glad she was opening up a bit.  Thus, I decided to tease a bit.
"It's been twenty-four hours, sweetheart, not weeks.  But no, I haven't had any migraines.  Hallie slept all night long, and I got precisely nine hours and fourteen minutes of sleep last night."
Bingo!  She giggled, and I could see her face starting to brighten up a bit. I gave her a grin, and she pulled her knees up to her chest.  "I suppose I should apologize for being a jerk.  So-"
I cut her off.  "It's fine..I understand, trust me!"  I said, watching her.
She glanced down.  "Sorry anyway."
I chuckled at her.  "So, no major hard feelings?  You get why I did this?"
She nodded.  "No hard feelings.  I was just hurt and upset, and..I dunno.  It's complicated, I guess."
I watched her face, which was covered by a curtain of her thick hair.  I risked touching her, to push her hair away from her face.  I left my hand on her cheek.
She glanced up at me and slowly took my hand from her face.  I couldn't read her expression, and wasn't sure if I should be relieved or worried.  Then she pulled my arm in towards her and took me into a kiss.  I was starting to return the kiss, but then I heard the doorknob click open.  She and I pulled apart quickly, and she dropped my hand.
"Hour's up!  C'mon, Flynn."  Tangled Fan said.
She held a hand out to me, but I turned back to my wife, reluctant to leave.
I situated her blanket carefully over her again, and then told her I'd see her soon.
"Okay," she said, giving my hand a quick squeeze.  I gave her a smile before I left.

Tangled Fan took me back up to the dresser, and I went to go sit. 
"So, how'd it go?"  Merida asked as soon as I sat down. 
"It was...interesting at first, but she opened up after awhile.  When I hit upon the topic of the girls, she opened up."  I said. 
She nodded.  "She'll be fine. She's more in love with you than what I think I've ever seen before."
"These are the only two you've EVER seen fall in love, Merida."  Rayne piped up.
"She saw me and Ray.." Blondie said tentatively. 
"Let's not talk about Ray."  the three of us piped up quickly, and Blondie shrugged. 
"Ray's why we're in this mess to begin with," I added. 
She nodded.  "I know.  Don't make me feel bad!" 

The rest of the day dragged on once more.  I tucked Jase and Hallie into their makeshift bed, which was actually Merida's cape, and went to bed when everyone else did, but I was far from going to sleep.  Thoughts ran rampant through my mind...bouncing from Rapunzel to Jase and Hallie, to wondering how much longer Rapunzel would be gone, back to Rapunzel,....and then just back and forth until I finally went to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment