Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Flynn here..update on Rapunzel

Hey, everyone - I hope I can do this right; I'm not all that into writing or stuff like that.  Rapunzel just told me to type whatever I was thinking or feeling, what others said, etc., that would be found 'interesting to the readers'.  Well, I suppose you aren't interested in the fact that Merida was up early this morning, grumbling about her legs.  You're probably wondering about how Rapunzel herself is doing.

     First I should clear something up; she actually had to go with Tangled Fan to get her arm fixed on Friday.  I'd just cleaned out her 'drafts' section and posted everything to keep you all up to date.  It's Sunday, so after church, Tangled Fan promised me I could go see her.

So as I was sitting in anxious wait, Rayne came up to me.
"Worried?"
"Ahh, no. She'll be...fine.  I know it."  I kind of fibbed there, but Rayne probably knew that.
"Yeah, right.  I can see you're totally freaked out." Rayne laughed.  "She'll be fine, don't worry."
"But I'm kind of worried about how she will think about me."
"Because she's getting surgery on her arm?"
"Noo, no, no, not because of that.  Because I kind of, well.." I went to the edge of the shelf and pointed down at the ribbon. "I know she saw it when she left.  I saw the panic in her eyes when she looked back up.  One minute, she's acting like she likes me, and the next she's acting like not so much."
"I see." Rayne said.  She patted my shoulder.  "I can see it in her eyes and how she giggles and smiles at you. Don't worry - and if she doesn't accept right now, she'll probably just need some time, but she'll come around."
"But what if she hates me for wanting to rush into things so quickly?  I mean, we knew each other at the warehouse, and talked all day and everything, because there was nothing else to do.  But...ugh.  You women are too complicating."
"Hey, we're not as complicated as you think." Rayne laughed and then left.

After what seemed like an eternity, Tangled Fan finally came into the room, with something behind her back.
"I have something for you and Rapunzel," she said, pulling a plastic horse from behind her back.  "It kind of looks like Maximus from the movie!"
I looked at the horse when she put it down.  It sort of did look like Maximus, but it was all gray with blue eyes.  And it had a pink saddle and bridle.  But regardless, I thanked her.
"Oh, and did you drop this?"  she scooped up the ribbon and handed it to me.  "And are you ready to go see Rapunzel?"
I nodded, taking the ribbon.  I wasn't sure what to do, so I just stuffed it down into a pocket.

It was a relatively quick trip with Tangled Fan carrying me in her hand.  I soon saw Rapunzel.
She was wrapped up in a towel, cocoon style, lying on her side.
I crept up to her, afraid to wake her if she was asleep, and she was; so I just sat there.
After a short time, her eyes fluttered open.  For a minute, I was so scared that I considered jumping up and running.  But then she gave me a warm smile.
"Hi," she said groggily.
"Hey," I replied.  "Is your arm better?"
"No.  Tangled Fan hasn't been able to fix it yet.  She's been too busy."
"What?!" I fairly yelled.  "Why can't she spare, like, just one hour to fix your arm?"
"Shh!" Rapunzel exclaimed.  "It's fine.  If I don't move it too much, it doesn't hurt much, and what's there to do around here anyway?"
"But still,"
"Why are you so...so...defensive about me all of a sudden?"
I gulped.  I wasn't the best at telling this kind of stuff, and usually I messed it up.  "Because."
She must've remembered the ribbon she'd spotted on the floor on Friday, because her eyes widened and she whispered, "Ohh."
Turning her head away from me, she fell silent.
"I, um...well, I'll have a surprise for you once you get back."
"It wouldn't be much of a-a surprise, because I know!"  She sounded like she was sobbing a little.
I took her chin in my hand and turned her head so I could see her face.  She was crying.  "Wh...wow, I really blew it, didn't I."  I didn't ask it, I knew it.
"No!" she wailed. "I blew it!  I wouldn't be acting so weird if I had just...I tried to forget about it - I even...never mind.  Does it matter?"
I knew Rayne was wrong at that point.  Boy, I'd blown it!  I muttered, "I-I have to go, I guess.  I should let you get some rest."
I stood to leave.
"Please...d-don't," Rapunzel sounded like she was going to start crying harder.  I turned back to her and saw she'd covered her face with her good arm.  That made me feel even worse!  Good grief, could I not do anything right?  But I sat back down beside her and wrapped an arm around her.  Once Rapunzel had finished crying, I said quietly, "The surprise isn't that. That can be forgotten or put on hold for a good while. Tangled Fan found a horse up in her attic that looks almost exactly like Maximus, that horse in our movie?"  I wasn't sure if that would cheer her up or not.
It did.
"Oh, really?" She brightened somewhat, and I grinned at her. "I can't wait to meet it!  Have you named it yet?"
"Nah, I figured I'd leave it up to you."
"Wow...I can't wait!" she repeated with a toothy smile.
At this point, Tangled Fan popped her head into the room and said she'd give us five more minutes till I had to leave.
"Ugh.  I'll be glad to be back once my arm's fixed.  I wish she'd hurry up, too, actually."  Rapunzel grumbled.
I nodded.  "So...no awkwardness between us because I goofed up?"
"You didn't goof up.  And no way!"  Rapunzel said.  "And you better come visit me again sometime, in case I'm not back soon.  Or else."  She tried to sound mean on that last sentence, but she couldn't pull it off.
I chuckled, and went to stand up again.  But this time, Rapunzel snagged my hand, fairly yanked me back down, and gave me a kiss on my cheek, giggling at my surprised face.  "Don't worry about that," with a gesture to the bit of ribbon peeking from my pocket.  "But don't propose now; I'd prefer to have a proposal when I don't feel like my arm's going to fall off!"
I almost choked, but I grinned and told her not to worry.  Then Tangled Fan came into the room, scooped me up in her hand, and after Rapunzel and I exchanged waves, she took me back to the shelf, telling me that Rapunzel should be back before next Friday.

I hope it isn't THAT long!  It'd only be a week, but wow.
And I hope you didn't find this post too mushy or dramatic or anything...but thanks for reading this the whole way through, if you managed to!
-Flynn Rider, stand-in author.

No comments:

Post a Comment