Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Flynn again - update on Rapunzel & just general updates

Hey again - it's Flynn again.
Well, most important news first - Rapunzel finally had her arm fixed last night.  I just came back from visiting with her.  Before I go into the details of the visit, there's another update I wanted to add.
I was moved to a different shelf, lower down.  Actually, it's the last shelf on the shelving unit.  There's not too much space, because as you can see, there's a lamp and an alarm clock on there as well.  But hey, it's got this neat chair (the one I'm sitting in), and I can go out to stand on what I call the 'deck', but it's actually just where the dresser starts (the shelving unit is part of a dresser, so it's set up on top of the dresser.) so I won't have to stand all bent over all the time.  But it's pretty lonesome by myself here - but it's not permanent.  

And as you can see, Merida, Blondie and Rayne are all still on that shelf.  It's just up and over one, so it's not too hard to get over there to visit - Rapunzel was pleased to know that.

I asked Tangled Fan why she moved stuff around, and she just said that it was looking to crowded up there with all of us there.  And yeah, I suppose it was:

Anyway, moving on.  

This morning, I was able to go see Rapunzel, as I mentioned at the beginning of this post.  Before I continue, I want to say something I just thought of.  Our whole relationship kind of reminds me of the song "Into the Open Air", which is a song in Merida's movie, Brave.  I found a YouTube link - click HERE to listen to the song.  I would explain why it reminds me of our relationship, but it's kind of hard to explain. 
But anyway.  This morning, after Tangled Fan dropped me off to see Rapunzel, she went out to feed her horses, so that meant I had about an hour to visit.  
Rapunzel looked pretty droopy,  I suppose it was because of having surgery on her arm, but she swore it was because of the heat.  (It's been awfully muggy and hot here.)  
I was still a bit concerned about how awkward it might be between the two of us, and so we just sat  in silence a few minutes after exchanging hellos.  
I kept glancing over at Rapunzel, and a few times caught her glancing at me, chewing her lip as if she wanted to say something.  Finally, the silence got so unsettling that I finally just said something. 
"Do you, uh, want me to braid your hair or something?  Get it out of your face so you're not so hot?"
Her hair truly did look messy.  I suppose she hadn't brushed it since she left on Friday, because of her arm.  
"Oh, would you please?  I would love you forever if you did that!  I tried to earlier, but I got reprimanded to not move my arm."  She rolled her eyes and pointed with her other hand at her arm, which was now wrapped in some sort of foam or something, to keep her from bumping it or hurting it or something. 
Seizing a joke opportunity, I said, "Hey, if you'll love me forever for just braiding your hair, you must be pretty easy to please.  I'll take the job!" I chuckled at the end, so she knew I was just joking around.  
To my relief, she laughed.  Since it was hard for her to sit up with just one arm, I helped her sit upright, and got to work braiding her hair.  
And then I realized it.  I'd made a bad mistake.  I didn't have anything to tie her hair with.  I tried holding it for a few seconds and then letting go, but it didn't stay.  I didn't have anything to hold the braid in place with.  Except for that stupid purple ribbon that was still in my pocket.  
Ohhhhh no...my mind wailed.  
"Uhh..I don't have anything to keep it in place.  Ex-except for that, uh, ribbon.." I finally managed to say.  
Rapunzel swallowed to audibly that I heard it.  
"Dolls aren't supposed to wear ribbons in our hair until we're engaged.  Er, rather..until they're engaged."  At this point, I was wondering to myself if I could ever be around this doll without embarrassing myself so horribly.  "You know how I said last time that I didn't want to have you propose until my arm was fixed?"
"Ye-e-e-ah," I drew it out, wondering what in the world she was getting at.  I was fine with that.  I was just kind of standing here.  With a handful of hair and nothing to tie it with.  That's normal, right?
With a grumble and a grunt, she managed to stand up without help, and suddenly turned to face me.  I was trying hard not to lose my grip on her hair, but I did, and when I did, it loosed from the braid quickly, whipped back behind her, and knocked her off balance, because it was so thick and heavy.  
Nope.  Never gonna be able to do anything without embarrassing myself around her. Never.  I thought, as I grabbed her good arm to keep her from falling. 
Steadying her, I apologized.  
"Don't be sorry."  Rapunzel said.  She touched my cheek and whispered, "My arm's fixed now."  
"I know, but you almost fell, and that wouldn't do it any-"
"No," she laughed.  So obviously, I wasn't getting the point.  "My arm's fixed now."
"Yeah...," I said slowly.  What on ...OHH.  I thought.  "Oh.  Oooohhh!"  
At which point she got the giggles.  So much for being droopy because of the weather.  
"I'm sure Tangled Fan would give me a rubber band to tie your hair back with if we wait - you don't really want to get engaged just to get your hair pulled back, do you?"  I laughed, but suddenly I was the one feeling like I was rushing!  Awkward.  
"I thought a lot yesterday, and Sunday after you left.  I was kind of an emotional wreck, because of my arm aching so bad, I was wanting to just go back home to the shelf, and I just didn't know what I wanted!  You know everything about me, and I about you.  So what's a few more days' difference?  And it's not like we're getting MARRIED right now - just engaged.  I just didn't know how to say it, exactly.  But I'm ready when you're ready.  So there- I finally spat it out."  She smiled, eyes bright and she seemed relieved to have gotten that out.
I stood there and stared at her.   I opened my mouth and licked my lips, but nothing came out.  What do I do now?  I hadn't practiced or anything.   
"If you wanna wait, that's fine," Rapunzel said softly again, once back to her somewhat droopy state.  She went to sit down, but in one swift movement (or, at least I thought it was swift) I snagged her good wrist, pulled the rather crumpled ribbon from my pocket, and asked her to marry me.  
Rapunzel was somewhat speechless, so she just nodded and stood while I braided her hair and tied the ribbon carefully in place.  Then, she just kind of whirled to face me and pulled me into our first real kiss.  

Rapunzel told me to add in this post that we didn't do any engagement pictures right away because of her arm, but we'll be doing them as soon as her arm is good to go, probably by the end of the week.  
I told her about the whole shelf-re-arranging thing, and although she seemed somewhat sad that she wouldn't be able to be around Merida and Rayne and Blondie most of the time, she also was kind of happy to have some more space.  And I told her that it wouldn't take much to be able to go see them anyway, and she was a lot happier then.  

Unfortunately, Tangled Fan came in all too soon to come and get me.  Today, though, Rapunzel and I hugged and I told her I'd see her soon, unlike our rather awkward visit on Sunday.  She smiled and waved at me as I left, and I felt melancholy to leave - although the whole situation is quite surreal to me.  I don't feel any different, I just feel like the same old Flynn.  Not like an all-new, engaged, soon to be husband Flynn.  
By the way, we didn't discuss any wedding dates.  I'll keep you all up to date on everything, and I really, really hope Rapunzel will be back soon - she also wants me to tell you all that she'll include her side of this visit in a new post as soon as she gets back, and that the engagement pics will be included there.  
I'm hoping that the next post will be by Rapunzel, but I'll let you know if any major events happen.  
-Flynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment